Thursday, March 20, 2008

HUSKIES SHOULD HAVE STAYED HOME


My mother use to tell me that "if you don't have anything good to say then blog it"...so here goes. Why in the world did the Huskies accept the invitation to the play in the CBI? I can't figure it out. It was a no win situation. It reminds me of when a high school varsity team scrimmages its own JV. If you win, big deal, you are suppose to win and if you lose it leaves a bad taste in your mouth. Well, this CBI fiasco in which a 16-16 Washington Husky team loses to Valparaiso team left me tasting liver and onions. The Huskies ponied up $60,000 to host this game and then showed why they needed to be home studying for finals. It was dissapointing on many levels, here is just a few:
  • They will finish the season under 500 (the first time since 2003)

  • They drew only 3,227 fans...well under what needed to make it worthwhile and well under their season average of 9,069

  • They missed their last 8 shots

  • They didn't score in the final 3 minutes

  • They missed 2 free throws at the end and only 11-24 for the game illustrating why they are one of the worst free throw shooting teams in the nation.

  • Best case scenario they are the 113th best team in the nation (I would say they are much worse then that).

  • It brings into question how good the Pac 10 really is.

  • It may also bring in doubt in mind of Husky fans about Romar and his future.

  • They could have been studying.

So why did the Huskies accept the invite?... "For the experience". Well, I hope the Huskies learn from this experience and think twice about accepting an invitation to play in a pointless third tier tournament in the future. My mother also told me that "sometimes it is better to have avoided a fight then to have fought and disgrace yourself."

1 comment:

Unknown said...

New term for the State of Washington athletics "dawged it". LOL. This team has throughly messed up my CBI bracket.